In honour of International Baby Wearing Week, I thought it would be fitting to write up a post on the benefits of baby wearing!
There are a few different types of carriers to choose from, including the ring sling, fabric sling, wraps & more structured carriers with buckles and straps similar to a back pack. The benefits of wearing your baby can be found with any of these types of carriers, but my personal favourites are the fabric wraps for the newborn stage (the gentle give of the fabric reminds baby of the womb) and the more structured buckle carriers for older babies and toddlers, as they offer more support.
Dr. William Sears has written several articles and chapters in his books about the amazing benefits to baby wearing. If you have never read his book, The Baby Book, it is an amazing read for all new parents! Some of the benefits he notes are:
* Babies cry less when they are worn
* Worn babies learn more, simply from being eye level with the world as we see it
* Wearing baby helps to regulate their systems (we have all heard of the benefits of skin to skin, right?)
* Babies who are worn get “humanized” earlier – they learn to understand facial expressions, moods, tones etc from being level with their care givers faces and world
* Babies who are worn are smarter – they learn earlier how to interact with others and how to appropriately do so, and learn basic day to day tasks as well simply from being at a level they are able to view from.
In addition to Dr Sears points, I would like to note baby wearing also;
* Calms a crying/screaming baby
* Helps lull baby to sleep
* Is excellent for helping establish milk supply
* Perfect bonding opportunity for mother’s & fathers alike
* Gives you free hands!
* Good for Mama’s postpartum health to stay close to her baby
* Easier, more familiar transition for baby to his/her new world as the motion from being worn and the snug fabric is similar to that of the womb
With all of these benefits, plus so many more, it seem’s quite obvious why there is a growing trend of new mama’s wearing around their babies in pretty colours and patterns! It is also so much more convenient then lugging around a stroller or car seat carrier!
Dad’s are also GREAT at baby wearing. The close proximity is excellent bonding time for Daddy and Baby and honestly, there isn’t anything quite as sexy as a Daddy wearing his baby!
There are several brands of carriers to look at, and most baby wearing parents will have a favourite, but the key to finding the right carrier is to try them out! There are baby wearing groups where you can borrow and try some out for free, and also some retail stores will rent out their carriers as well, such as Baby B Home in Paris.
I have found from personal experience, a carrier is worth the money you spend on it – do not just buy one because it is inexpensive! Ergo, Boba, Moby, Britax, Baby Bjorn, Snugli … This is just a glimpse into some of the brands available! It is very important for you and your babies sake, that the carrier you choose is worn & fitted correctly for safety and comfort. If you are unsure of how to wear a wrap or would like some help adjusting a carrier, please ask for help! Most big name brands also have very informative videos on their websites and YouTube on how to properly wear their carriers. You are also welcome to ask us at The Nesting Instinct! We are also baby wearers and have offered baby wearing workshops in the past and would be happy to do so in the future.
Until next time ….
KEEP CALM &
BABY WEAR ON!